Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I've been misquoted

"Help me. Anyone will do," says the reporter. He is definitely desperate: "You'll do fine. I just need a comment about this proposal from the banking commissioner."

Its 4:10 pm on a Friday. I can believe that anyone will do.

"Its a guideline, not a law. Do you think this will stop a predatory broker?"

Hmmm...I guess I can answer that.

"Well, I suppose its not going to stop brokers so much as other people, who are less incentived by volume. Right, it might influence investors holding the mortgages long-term, it might influence perception of these products. Definitely, it makes sense for the commissioner to be worried about this, because there's a safety and soundness issue."

So in the paper, it runs:

A critic at the Community Reinvestment Association of North Carolina says, "Its not going to stop brokers."

---

I was upset. I found myself seeking empathy from some prisoners during a conversation at Orange County Prison later that night.

I asked Alvin and Alexander if they ever got made to look bad for something that they really didn't mean.

"Nope, not me," says Alexander. "Just got to keep your head down," added Alvin.

Great. Not even prisoners are willing to think that they ever get a bad rap.

No comments: